Lesson - 01 : UNIX - Introduction And Salient Features of UNIX
Добавлено: 24 дня назад
<iframe src="http://tng.pw/embed/234776/" width="650" height="405" frameborder="0"></iframe> <br />
<a href="http://tng.pw//234776/">Lesson - 01 : UNIX - Introduction And Salient Features of UNIX</a>
UNIX is an operating system which was first developed in the 1960s, and has been under constant development ever since. By operating system, we mean the suite of programs which make the computer work. It is a stable, multi-user, multi-tasking system for servers, desktops and laptops.
UNIX systems also have a graphical user interface (GUI) similar to Microsoft Windows which provides an easy to use environment. However, knowledge of UNIX is required for operations which aren't covered by a graphical program, or for when there is no windows interface available, for example, in a telnet session.
1. Popularity : The unix operating system have wide range of computing power from microcomputers, mainframes and different manufacture’s machine.
2. Portability : It is easier to read, understand, change and move to other machines because it is written in high-level language. The code can be changed and complied on a new machine. Users can then choose from a wide variety of hardware vendors without being locked in with a particular vendor. 3. Machine-independence : The system is machine-independent. So , it is easier to write applications that can run on micros, mins and mainframes because the system hides the machine architecture from the user.
4. Multi-User Operations : UNIX is a multi-user system designed to support a group of users simultaneously. The system allows for the sharing of processing power and peripheral resources, white at the same time providing excellent security features.
5. Hierarchical File System : UNIX uses a hierarchile file structure to store information. This structure has the maximum flexibility in grouping information in a way that reflects its natural state. It allows for easy maintenance and efficient implementation. 6. UNIX shell : UNIX has a simple user interface called the shell that has the power to provide the services that the user wants. It protects the user from having to know the intricate hardware details. 7. Pipes and Filters : UNIX has facilities called Pipes and Filters which permit the user to create complex programs from simple programs. 8. Utilities : UNIX has over 200 utility programs for various functions. New utilities can be built effortlessly by combining existing utilities.
9. Software Development Tools : UNIX offers an excellent variety of tools for software development for all phases, from program editing to maintenance of software.
Добавлено: 27 дней назад
Добавлено: 376 дней назад